Advanced Macular Degeneration (AMD) is increasing in the US. Between the ages of 55 and 64, one in six people will be affected. Over 75 years old and the odds become one in three.
Those adult macular degeneration statistics are from Eyesight Org, who also list six diet tips for people who are worried about their vision.
- High cholesterol and unhealthy, processed fats are bad for eye health. Try to lower your cholesterol, and have a diet which includes healthier fats
- Women who are post-menopause should talk to their physician about estrogen replacement therapy. This might help raise cholesterol lipids.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection. The harmful blue spectrum of UV light is thought to damage the macula region of the eye.
- Leafy, dark vegetables contain molecules that can help protect your vision. A serving or two per day would help your body resist the onset of AMD.
- Cigarette smoke irritates the outer eye, and the free radicals in smoke can cause oxidative stress in the body. Avoid second hand cigarette smoke.
- Eat foods which are rich in vitamins E, C and Lutein. Lutein is found in spinach, kale and other dark green, leafy vegetables.
Macular degeneration and zeaxanthin antioxidant.
In a report titled ‘Goji berry effects on macular characteristics and plasma antioxidant levels’, the US National Institutes of Health highlights the natural antioxidant zeaxanthin as a way to protect your vision.
The American Macular Degeneration Foundation lists 16 foods which are you can add to your diet for extra zeaxanthin. The top four are canned corn, spinach, collards and unsweetened orange juice.
Zeaxanthin and Resveratrol health supplement for macular degeneration.
The Eyesight Org article also mentions antioxidants as a potential way to help with AMD, because antioxidants can help to reduce the tendency of fatty deposits to stick to blood vessel walls.
The website Touch Ophthalmology have published an article on the ‘Retinal Effects of Resveratrol’. Resveratrol is a powerful antioxidant found in grapes and other plants.
The American muscadine grape is America’s strongest source of grape resveratrol. If you are worried about macular degeneration, you might be interested in our Muscadine & Goji eye health supplement, which is available on Amazon for home delivery.
You can find out more about the Muscadinex MX3 Muscadine & Goji health supplement on Amazon. http://amzn.to/1VeBcCu
— Muscadinex News (@Muscadinex) April 18, 2016